Monday, January 12, 2009

What is friendship?

I've been spending some amount of time trying to explain to myself what a friend is, and is not. 

Friendship is the bigger statement. Lots of people are lovers but aren't friends. Lots of people are relatives and aren't friends. Lots of people work together who aren't friends. You can appreciate or admire someone, but that doesn't make them a friend. 

We're relatively casual about the word, but sometimes things happen that take the casualness out of it. When I had my half-way across the country move I had a lot of time to think about what makes someone a friend. If they are scared of you when you need help, sorry, that's not friendship. If their attitude is "for better or worse," if they stick by you through thick and thin, that's when you can tell it's friendship. I do have some friends, but not as many as I thought.

Looking back at past relationships I have had in my life, I can honestly say I may have good handful of AMAZING friends from college. I am working on taking every advantage of ervery moment I have with these friends. Whether it is a vacation in Cancun, surprising a friend at their wedding, attending another wedding. Whatever it is I miss them and am making memories of our time together. It is great!

We never really know how long they will be here or what. But on that same note spending too much time can kick you back in the butt. As time goes on it seems that the more you see one person the more you realize you are not friends and how you wish you could go back to how things were weeks, months, or even years ago. Those are the times we truly treasure, and I wish I could go back in time with some friends to hope that things would be different now.

To all of my friends; old, present, and new: You all have been a great influence on my life and I am grateful to you for that. Thank you for being you and allowing me to be me.

1 comment:

Sarah (Koutz) Johnson said...

Are you attending the journey class on friendships?